POSITION TITLE: Accounting Specialist
SUPERVISOR'S TITLE: Director of Finance & Accounting
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
The Accounting Specialist is primarily responsible for completing fundamental accounting practices including data entry, accounts payable, and data tracking within accounting software and spreadsheets. This position works closely with the department manager.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To be successful in this role, an individual must be able to perform in a satisfactory manner the functions listed below. The company will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- Accurately and efficiently enters data for account payable, general journal, cash disbursements and other financial information.
- Processes accounts payable checks to ensure all invoices are paid timely and any early payment discounts are taken.
- Understanding of accounting concepts i.e. debits, credits, journals, etc.
- Accurately balances and closes out cash drawer daily.
- Accurately completes spreadsheets that are easy to understand and clearly formatted.
- Prepares sales invoices and maintains sales journal.
- Maintains transportation and fuel records for vehicle fleet and balance monthly.
- Assists in maintaining inventory records and annual physical inventory count.
- Accurately count, distribute and maintain records for petty cash funds.
- Completes clerical duties such as filing and organizing.
- Assists in maintaining work in process, asset management, special equipment and depreciation records monthly.
- Assists in maintaining necessary work papers and monthly schedules for auditors.
- Assists in performing various month-end procedures related to general accounting and plant accounting.
- Assists in processing annual 1099s.
- Assists with preparation of the annual budget.
- Assist Director of Finance & Accounting as requested.
- Assist other department’s initiatives as requested.
- Perform other duties and special projects as assigned.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have an equivalent of the following education and/or experience.
- A minimum of a high school diploma, GED or equivalent is required.
- Prefer Associates or Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or 2 years of college education in accounting.
- Accounting job experience may be considered.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The company will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
Technical/ Computer/ Office Equipment
- Proficiency using a computer, including proficiency with the Microsoft Office programs Word and Excel, the internet, spreadsheets and databases.
- Ability to operate office equipment, including printers, copiers, scanners, fax machines, calculator and phone system.
- Ability to prepare records, letters, reports and other formal documents.
- Ability to process data.
- Ability to adhere to cyber-security protocols established by the cooperative.
Communication and Relationship Skills
- Strong verbal communication skills including the ability to describe and explain concepts.
- Strong written communication skills including mastery of grammar and punctuation.
- Maintain confidentiality and discretion regarding member financial information and other sensitive information.
- Ability to get along with others in an office setting.
Analytical and Judgment Skills
- Ability to assess and interpret information in order to make a judgment, including the ability to know when to seek assistance.
- Ability to follow detailed procedures and ensure accuracy in documentation and data.
Planning and Organizational Skills
- Ability to prioritize, organize and manage tasks and time effectively.
- Ability to consistently meet deadlines.
- Ability to work efficiently in conjunction with other offices, organizations and/or departments.
- Ability to construct and maintain an organized file system.
- Ability to track and monitor budget and financial information.
- Ability to follow protocols for authorizing expenditures.
- Ability to collect, account for and reconcile cash/ checks and other valuables.
- Ability to perform basic and advanced mathematical computations including fractions, percentages, and ratios.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The environmental and physical demands described here are representative of those an individual must meet to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The company will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- Ability to work in a deadline oriented office environment on a flexible work schedule.
- Ability to sit for extended periods and operate computer work station.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to sit and stand for periods of time and to move intermittently throughout the workday within or between departments or facilities.
- Ability to interact frequently with others, both in person and through phone, e-mail, and written correspondence.
- Ability to participate in educational training and conferences as needed to improve knowledge in job related areas, occasionally travel will be necessary.
- Ability to lift/carry up to 15 pounds.